On Saturday the 8th of July, Garryowen CDP were delighted to host the 2017 Garryowen Community Fair in Geraldines AFC. The weather was kind as members of the community took part in activities including bouncy castle, rodeo bull, face painting, obstacle course, running races, soccer match, Fire service display, Garda display, DJ and much more.
The Fair would not have been possible without the work and effort of our volunteers and supporters. We wish to thank, on behalf of all who attended;
- Dave Connolly
- Joe O’Sullivan
- Caroline Connolly
- Brian Humphreys
- Geraldines AFC
- Priscilla Sheehan
- Irishtown Garda Youth Diversion Project
- Jean Ryan
- Limerick Community Safety Partnership
- Liam Cantwell
- VIP’s Limerick Sports Partnership
- Mary Duhig
- Irene Flannigan
- Sarah Jane Hennelly
- Tom O’Brien
- Kelly, Leah, Sophie, Olivia and Amanda (Garryowen CDP Youth Club members)
- Jonathon Benn
- Jeanne Ryan
- George Clancy
- Abundant Life
- ABC Parenting
- Richmond RFC
- Limerick Live 95 FM
- Limerick Fire and Rescue
- An Garda Siochana
- RK Entertainment
- Alan Morton
- Shannon Ice Creams
***EASTER CAMP 2017***
Registration for this years Easter Camp is now open! The camp is open to kids ages 6 – 10 and will run the 18th, 19th and 20th of April.
The camps are open to all residents of Garryowen and kids who attend St Johns GNS and St John the Baptist will be able to apply through the schools, alternatively more information and applications are available by contacting our youth worker Pádraigh on 0852164383 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that places are limited and allocated on a lottery system due to the high demand.
Information on youth clubs can also be got by contacting Pádraigh.
Thanking you, Garryowen CDP
- Work Commencing December 2016
- Applications are invited by email for post of: Part-time (28 Hours) Youth Worker (rolling 12 month contract)
- Job Title: Garryowen CDP Youth Worker
- Location: Garryowen, Limerick City
- Hours of Work: Position is for 28 hours per week in a flexible manner that will include evenings and occasional overnights/weekends, in accordance with the service needs.
Garryowen Community Development Project’s mission is to empower local people, to be actively involved in meeting the needs of their Community by working together to develop sustainable services and facilities for all members of the Community which will make Garryowen a better place to live.
Role Outline: To co-ordinate and deliver the Garryowen CDP youth project, working with young people aged 8-25 from the Garryowen area.
Role Descriptor: Reporting to Project Coordinator. Successful applicant will be responsible for planning, managing and delivering youth services for Garryowen CDP.
Minimum Requirements: A relevant degree or diploma in youth work or social care or equivalent, plus a minimum of two years full time experience of working in sector.
Desirable: A full clean drivers licence and access to a vehicle. A knowledge of logic model reporting.
- Engage the young people of Garryowen both informally and formally
- Facilitate the recruitment, support and training of local volunteers
- Plan, organise and structure the holiday provision programmes
- Promote young people’s participation in decision making
- Maintain good links with relevant statutory and voluntary agencies and organisations at a local, regional and national level
- Represent the Garryowen CDP on a number of Forums across the city
- Develop & implement a Youth work strategy
- Ensure best practice in child protection according to Children First Legislation
- Perform other day to day tasks as assigned by Management
Professional Knowledge and Skills:
- A clear understanding of the wider environment informing services for children, young people and families across the community.
- Knowledge and understanding of evidence informed and evidence based practice and of outcomes based planning.
- Knowledge of best practice for the participation of children, young people and their community in decision-making.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Works with respect for team and self in a manner that brings conflict into the open, resolves issues in a proactive and calm manner and shows awareness of alternate viewpoints.
- Communicates effectively with a wide variety of individuals using a variety of methods ensuring the message is clearly understood. Ability to work in complex systems and to navigate these and develop excellent inter-professional working relationships.
- Ability to positively contribute to and lead change.
- Self-starter with the ability to work on own initiative.
Management & Delivery of Results:
- Takes responsibility and is accountable for the delivery of agreed objectives.
- Successfully manages a range of different projects and work activities at the same time.
- Is logical and pragmatic in approach, delivering the best possible results with the resources available.
- Applies appropriate systems/ processes to enable quality checking of all activities and outputs
Commitment to providing a quality service:
- Engages with stakeholders to deliver high quality services to young people.
- Invests in people to create a positive working environment, which enhances the skills and abilities of all members.
- Is capable of proactively identifying and implementing appropriate improvements/changes, taking a solution focused and creative approach to dealing with problems.
Candidates should be available for interview on Monday the 28th of November.
Garda Community Clinic every Tuesday, beginning next Tuesday, June 7th, at Garryowen Community Development Project. the venue is our new premises at Chapel Court, Cathedral Place. This is located opposite the side entrance to The Horse and Hound Pub.
Garryowen residents will have an opportunity to raise any concerns they have regarding their community in a confidential setting. In addition you will be able to get forms, applications, certs etc signed.
An excellent opportunity for those who want to return to education.